Mostly student thinks that “data” and “Information” are same terms, but in reality these are the two steps of processing and have big Difference between data and information. If you are studying the “ICT” subjects then you must have the knowledge of Data vs. Information. Let’s discuss the difference between among the both terms with examples.
Difference between the Data and Information
What is Data?
Each and every book related to ICT subjects, mentioned Data is “raw material”. We can say that Data is Raw Facts, no context and have only number, text and symbols. In other words we can also say “Data in not meaning full.” Unprocessed facts and figures are also known as Data, and it doesn’t depend on information. In computer world it is also called input some instructions to any software. It is independent.
What is Information?
Information is the processed form of data or we can say the meaningful thing or knowledge is also called information. Information is processed data with context, it is value –added to data organized, summarized and analyzed. Information is knowledge that may be about particular events, subjects and issues; we can take it from various sources like, Communicating, from software, TV channel, Radio or Internet. Information depends on Data.
Types of Data
There are many types that we have and we use it in our daily life. Here are following some main and simple types that you must read and know;
- Text type is high number of use in our life examples of these are; (Apple, Car, School, Building etc.)
- Numeric are only number of the math for example; 1, 2, 5, 66, 99, 67, 45, 23 etc.
- Alphanumeric are the mixture of both text and numbers like; (Tel: 091-456 xyz)
- Images are only the type which doesn’t have numbers or text. This type only has the images and pictures.
- Audio is another type of Data. We can’t see it but we can listen it as well.
- Video Type is the type in which we see the movement or we can also say it the movie.
- Mix type is the mixture of Audio and video.
- Presentation type of Data is the mixture of text and images in shape of slides.
Data vs. Information Example
Data vs. information both are separate term to each other or we can say these are the terms of processing to provide us knowledge. For example we have Number (2, 4, 9, 6, 3, 1, 5, 8, and 7) and when we process these numbers, it will become like this, (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9). Another example of TV news channel, A reporter make reports and send to the office, the office staff edit it add video, sound, writings and some other references and then the news channel publish it on Television. This is called information because news are meaning full. Another example of that will clear the difference between data and information, when you have to visit to create a NIC (National Identification Card), first you get token/slip then take pictures and step by step provide all the details, at the end, they process all you’re Details and issue you a card. And that card is the information that you are citizen of particular country.